Sunday, June 29, 2008

Clay changes them, one at a time, but he's doing it.

This song seems so appropriate for todays blog....


It's In Every One Of Us by Clay Aiken
video is by claymateloudnproud






It's Sunday, and a couple days ago, I read a small article, that really made me think. There is a guy named Tim Worstall , and apparently he has written about Clay prior to the article I read.
I don't remember his writings, and the only way I saw this one, was from a 'Clay Aiken' google alert.
Well, Tims' first words in the article were, " I've mocked Clay Aiken before.... " and I was on the defensive already, but curious as all Hell, to see what he was going to say. Seriously, as I read, I was waiting for that proverbial other shoe to drop, if you know what I mean.
After 5 years of seeing the slams in print day after day, month after month, year after year, I knew Tim was going to come back with some kind of slam about Clay.
What he said from that point on has been rolling around in my head for 2 days now.
Here is his article, then I'll talk a little more about it........

http://timworstall.typepad.com/timworstall/2008/06/clay-aiken-on-s.html


June 26, 2008
Clay Aiken On Somalia


I may have mocked Clay Aiken in the past, but this time he's doing the right thing and reminding us about Somalia. What I feel is important here is that he's has been to these countries, many celebrities will embrace a cause just because it makes them look good, very few of them will travel to see the reality.


Clay has been to Somalia and he's also been to Afghanistan, he's seen the reality of life for people in those places and he should be respected for it.



Now , I was overwhelmed with emotions, from what Tim had done. He had , in a public forum with his reputation at risk, admitted being guilty of making fun of Clay, and then professing his change of heart, and acknowledging a respect for Clay.

I like to pick my battles when it comes to defending Clay, and I also like to commend when I see a good point being made too.
The very first comment in regard to this article, just stirred me instantly. Here are a few of the comments, and a couple responses from me, Martigyrl, and me,aka SuzyQ.


Comments

like France, he still deserves to be mocked. but ok about the Somalia thing.

Posted by: Kudzu Fire | Jun 27, 2008 2:26:59 AM

The reason people mock him is because other people mock him. Its not that he deserves it.

Posted by: Matt | Jun 27, 2008 9:40:12 AM


What entitles any of us to mock another person,when that person tries to live a clean, upstanding life?
What does he do to deserve the mocking, what does anyone do to get it done to them?
It is all a form of bullying, done by people who feel less than they want to about themselves. I think they lack the qualities they admire in others, and mocking is a way they feel content.
It's sad.
Clay has been 'doing the right thing' for 5 years now, but it is hard to see and know about, when the storyline is always about tabloid journalism subject matter.
While they toss Grammys to Winehouse, with good aim so as to not break the crack pipe in her pocket, Clay Aiken is walking the walk, and talking the talk. Reaching down and extending a helping hand, to people who only know him as a "real nice famous American guy who wants to help us."

Posted by: SuzyQ | Jun 27, 2008 11:12:57 AM

SuzyQ: Absolutely true and well stated.

Posted by: Copper | Jun 27, 2008 4:31:11 PM

SuzyQ you summed up what should be said about all this mocking of Clay Aiken. It is beyond me to come to any understanding at all why society feels somehow tearing someone down who just does not measure up to what their 'preconceived' notion of what a "man" should be could in anyway make them feel better?? These people , including the late night talk shows are nothing but schoolyard bullies.

We applaud people like "Amy Crackhouse" and Little 'slimy" Wayne but yet a man who puts his life on the line such as Clay Aiken is mocked just because we don't take the time to find out what a remarkable person he is , but instead chose to believe the tabloids!!

The truth that sets us free is for the most part the truth which some prefer not to hear. A lie told often enough ,sometimes becomes the truth to them !! Clay has stated 2 times he is not gay , plus he has said it is none of anyone's business .
I admire him for what he brings to the table as an entertain and how this beautiful soul continues to take back his life and walk the talk of who his is being comfortable in his own skin! I just pray for you who seem to get a chuckle from attacking him can look at yourselves in the mirror and say the same thing !!

Posted by: claysmyheart | Jun 27, 2008 8:11:26 PM

Thanks go out to the writer of this article, for recognizing that there comes a time in our personal lives, when we need to repair possible flaws in our value system.
Seems as though through your introspection, a lesson has been learned.
I'm elated to see you use the word,'respect' in speaking Clay Aikens' name.
He has just been to an extremely dangerous country, and he is building an honorable legacy of humanitarianism.
{Sometimes all it takes is the silent walking of one lone man, to make a difference.To bring about change, and to make others think twice about themselves, and how they treat other mankind.}

Posted by: Martigyrl | Jun 27, 2008 8:37:40 PM


I really intended my compliment for suzyq, although Matt's was a good one also. But I loved suzyq's comment about Winehouse receiving grammy after grammy. I'll never understand our culture, but I won't give up trying.

Posted by: Cookie | Jun 28, 2008 4:11:29 AM


I do believe that Tim Worstall, has taken that walk this week, and I commend him for that. Who knows how he will be in his next mention of Clay, but I like to believe that a change has occurred within. I like to think that he really did see something different in Clay, then he had before this article.
Marti

1 comment:

Dianne Barbee said...

Marti,

Excellent journal entry, perfect song/montage, and great point about the blogger. The comments in his blog are very interesting and support your thesis.

Thank you for your kind comments in my blogs. I have been meaning to get over here for awhile, but a certain grandson has kept me occupied.

Now that my house is way too quiet, here I am. Have a wonderful week!

Caro